Renee Pajetska has a passion for cooking and baking AND a desire to be healthy which has taken her on a kitchen adventure which she shares through her blog Renee’s Kitchen Adventures. She believes that food that’s good for you should also taste GOOD. Her Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes are no exception! They are topped with sweet Florida strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate-covered strawberries for a delicious twist on a classic dessert.
- 2 pounds fresh Florida strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped for topping
For the shortcakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour (can be half whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes, COLD
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or more)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini-semisweet chocolate chips
- Milk (to brush on tops of shortcakes before baking)
- Granulated sugar (to sprinkle on the shortcakes before baking)
- Chocolate-covered strawberries, for garnish, if desired
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
In glass measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, chocolate syrup and vanilla. Stir to combine. Put in refrigerator.
In a large food processor fitted with the blade, combine the flour, 2 TBS granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse to mix.
Drop in COLD butter pieces and pulse until you achieve a mixture with the butter the size of small peas.
Dump flour mixture into a large bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and stir once.
Dump the dough onto a floured surface and fold over a few times to distribute the chips. Pat down into a round about 1/2″ thick. (Remember, less is more when handling this type of dough…do not over work it!)
With a 3 1/2″ round cutter, push straight down into dough. Place shortcakes on prepared baking sheet. Gather up scraps and repeat until all dough is used up.
Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 12 -15 minutes.
Remove from oven and remove shortcakes from pan with spatula to a wire rack. Cool for at least 15 minutes before assembling the dessert.
To assemble dessert:
Cut shortcake in half. Separate halves. Place about a cup of the sliced strawberries onto the bottom of the shortcake, cut side up. Place a large dollop of whipped cream onto the berries. Place the top of the shortcake onto the whipped cream and add a smaller dollop of cream to the very top. Garnish as desired.
*Note: if the strawberries you are using aren’t as sweet as you like, you can add a TBS of granulated sugar to the berries once they are sliced.
Originally posted at Renee’s Kitchen Adventures.
Check out the Renee’s Kitchen Adventures website, follow Renee on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.