This post is in honor of today being National Oatmeal Day and thus, two of the healthiest foods you can eat are about to come together to make one of the healthiest dishes! Oatmeal and fresh Florida strawberries.
We already know strawberries are high in vitamins, high in fiber and a great source of antioxidants. Don’t forget they taste amazing! But what about oatmeal? What does it bring to the table? Here are 10 Awesome Health Benefits Of Oatmeal:
- Oatmeal lowers cholesterol
- Oatmeal can reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure
- Oatmeal is full of antioxidants
- Oatmeal prevents the arteries from hardening
- oatmeal can prevent the development of breast cancer
- Oatmeal stabilizes blood sugar
- Oatmeal will also prevent the development of diabetes
- Oatmeal gives the immune system a boost
- Eating oatmeal can prevent weight gain
- Those who can’t eat gluten can eat oatmeal
Of course, you’ll want to eat real oatmeal when possible, not the stuff that comes in the flavor packets which can add a lot of sodium, sugar and other unwanted ingredients. Adding a little fresh cinnamon will not only bring in some extra delicious flavor but studies show it can help your body process sugar. All around, this trio of ingredients is a win.
Florida Strawberry Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- Dash of salt
- Cinnamon to taste
- Sliced, fresh strawberries
Combine oats, water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let oatmeal simmer until 90% of the water is absorbed. Remove oatmeal from heat and serve. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with sliced strawberries and enjoy!
Want to up it up a notch? Try adding a spoonful of peanut butter for a peanut butter and strawberry jam-flavored breakfast treat. Plus the peanut butter is a great source of additional protein! Experiment away with other fruits and nutrient-rich additions like protein powders and bananas.