Who is ready for some amazing but true strawberry factoids?
Strawberries have a long and storied history that goes back more than 2,000 years. Here are just a few of hundreds of interesting facts about the sweet, succulent berry.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- Because the strawberries seeds are on the outside, it’s not classified by botanists as a true berry. True berries, such as blueberries and cranberries have seeds inside. Each of the strawberry’s dry, yellow “seeds” on the outside are actually considered a separate fruit.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds. Go ahead, count them!
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- One serving of about eight strawberries provides more vitamin C than an orange, or about 140% of the U.S. RDA for vitamin C.
- 94% of U.S. households consume strawberries.