Update: 2013 U-Pick season is over.
See you in 2014!
Spivey Farms has opened its farm for U-pick. Pickers are invited to visit the farm Monday through Saturday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM and Sunday 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. If you have any questions that are unanswered on this post, text them at 813-917-1756 or e-mail them.
Learn more about the Spivey Farm family, we documented their story back in 2011.
Berries are priced at $1.00 for 2 quarts, cash only. If you want to pick your berries in half-flats you bring, it’s $1.50 per half-flat (one half-flat = 3 quarts). If you want to pick your berries in a flat you bring, it’s $3.00 per flat (one flat = six quarts).
What You Need:
- Spivey Farms will provide the quart cups to pick in, but you need to bring containers to store and take your strawberries home. Very deep containers are not advised as piling strawberries too high in your container will cause the berries on the bottom to be severely bruised and may be no good.
- Considering this is a time of year in Florida when the temperature is warm, make sure to wear loose-fitting clothing. Sunscreen and hats are recommended to avoid overexposure to the heat.
- You’re more than welcome to bring your own drinks and/or snacks to the farm. If you do bring your own food/drink, please make sure not to leave any garbage remaining around or in the field.
- For all the tips you need on the hows and whats of strawberry picking/freezing/etc., we highly recommend this site which covers all aspects for you.
6101 County Road 39 South
Plant City, FL 33567
Helpful U-Pick Tips:
- Dress comfortably. Wear loose fitting clothing.
- Wear a hat or cap and bring sunscreen.
- Bring your own containers to transport.
- If you plan to spend the day, take ice to keep berries cool.
- Select only firm ripe berries.
- Be careful not to remove the tops of the berries.
- Make an effort to pick every ripe berry on each plant rather than jumping from plant to plant and row to row.