The Florida Strawberry Growers Association (FSGA) recently presented a Product Preview to almost two dozen members of the editorial staffs of Meredith Publishing Corporation in Des Moines, Iowa. Sue Harrell, FSGA’s director of marketing informed guests about the unique attributes of Florida winter strawberries and offered tips for selection, handling and storage.
Celebrity executive chef Norman Van Aken, an FSGA Chef Advisory Board member, created a show-stopping menu featuring Florida strawberries. See for yourself.
- Florida Strawberry & Kiwi Fruit Daiquiri
- Florida Strawberry/Tomato Marmalade of Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- Scallops Escabeche with Florida Strawberry & Hearts of Palm Salad with Fennel & Basil
- Florida-Ancho Barbecued Breast of Chicken with Caramelized Plantain Stuffing/Black Bean Muñeta
- Macerated Florida Strawberries with Earl Grey Tapioca Pearls, Whipped Coconut cram & Candied Nuts
Editors were presented with a copy of Chef Van Aken’s latest cookbook – My Key West Kitchen: Recipes and Stories written with his son, Justin Van Aken and published by Kyle Books. FSGA gave the editors each a bottle of Strawberry Riesling Wine, from Keel and Curley Winery in the Tampa Bay area, background information about Florida strawberries and other Florida strawberry memorabilia.
Meredith Publishing is the leading media marketing company serving the adult female audience in the U.S. Their flagship publication is Better Homes & Gardens magazine with a monthly circulation of 7.6 million. Meredith also publishes Every Day with Rachael Ray, Family Circle, Ladies Home Journal, Diabetic Living, Living the Country Life, Successful Farming, More and Food and Family. The combined circulation is 30 million.